Copsewood Mens Football First Team
Kindly Sponsored By:
MENS FOOTBALL AT COPSEWOOD
Founded by the employees of Peel Connor, the club was formed in 1922.
The 'Connor' became Magnet F.C. and then in 1934 it became GEC (Cov) F.C.
It kept this name until 1988 when the club was then renamed GPT. This name stayed until 1999 when the name changed once again, this time to Marconi and the team became known as Marconi F.C.
The final name change came after the demise of Marconi in 2005 when the club became Coventry Copsewood F.C. and to this day remains part of the Copsewood Sports and Social Club based in Allard Way, Coventry.
During the 1970's the club won many cup competitions and league honours in local competitions. It won the Coventry Telegraph Cup three years in succession. It also won the Birmingham Junior Cup twice.
In 1993 the club applied to join the Midland Football Combination. In the first three seasons the club finished 5th but gained promotion to Division One because of its excellent facilities. In the 1996-1997 season the club did the League and Cup double in Division One and the managers Ashley Alexander and Jez O'Neill won the Manager of the Year award.
In 1998-1999 the club purchased floodlights from Mangotsfield Town and club members improved and erected them so that the team could play and train through the winter months and evenings.
The club finished 8th in 1998-99 and 4th in 1999-2000.The club were Premier Division runner up in 2003/04 and third in 2004/05. They also won the Coventry Charity Cup four times. In 2006/07 the club battled through to the final of the Midland Combination Challenge Cup and won 1-0.
Since 2012 Darren Dickson has held the position of overall manager. This season he has been joined by Ross Perkins and Graham Walker. In this period the club has won the Coventry Charity Cup, The Coventry Telegraph Cup and the Birmingham Mid-Week Cup. Last season it was runners-up in the Birmingham Mid-Week Cup.